Whoa! Where am I?

__________________________________________________Librarians are encyclopedias of AWESOME__________

Friday, January 25

Grandpa Green

Grandpa Green by Lane Smith

I love love love the artwork in this book!  The layering of curvy pen and ink tree trunks and minor details with the larger swaths and geometric shapes of green watercolor and oil paint foliage really works.  The illustrations make sense with the text and I like the intertextuality at play with Smith’s references to other classic picture books.  The story is accessible and relatable, everyone has a favorite relative who no longer remembers much of the past but is still bound to it by rituals, hobbies and passions.  My only beef is whether the artwork may be enjoyed more by an adult audience than a child.  My son didn’t seem to be quite sure what the story was “about” exactly, as there is no obvious plot or action.  A good one to borrow from the library, but not sure if I'd lay down the clams for a hardback.  Though I would sure love a print to decorate the nursery with!

No comments:

Post a Comment